FRED is Shell's consequence modelling tool, available exclusively through Gexcon.
The FRED software gathers in one tool state-of-the-art Fire, Release, Explosion and Dispersion models that predict consequences of accidental and design releases of products from process, storage, transport and distribution operations.
Its ease of use allows the user to rapidly comprehend the consequence prediction related to incidents for facilities and operations. It provides the user with an at-a-glance overview of the extent of blast waves, gas contours and heat radiation directly on site plan.
FRED has been continuously developed and validated by Shell since the 1980s, and has been extensively used by oil, gas and petrochemical operating companies, engineering contractors, insurers and regulators throughout the world. The integrated models rely on an extensive and unique programme of large-scale experiments, combined with validated scientific research, that assure the reliability and consistency of the results.
FRED can be used for:
- Preparation and update of safety cases
- Justification for new design and operation
- Facility layout and equipment optimization
- Pre-incident and emergency response planning studies
- Domino effects / escalation management studies
- Accident investigation
- Quantitative risk analysis (QRA) – with results directly integrated into Shell’s QRA tool Shepherd
- Draws on Shell’s and Gexcon’s vast R&D knowledge and integrates Shell’s operating experience
- Provides users with state-of-the-art Fire, Release, Explosion and Dispersion models
- Allows users to easily generate fast and reliable consequence predictions
Transparency of the integrated models gives confidence to the users on the reliability and consistency of the results
Interested in learning more about FRED?