All medium-scale and large-scale tests are performed at GexCon's test site on the island of Sotra just outside Bergen, Norway. Gas and dust explosion testing using vessels in the volume range from 1 m3 to 50 m3 can be performed. A wide range of test vessels are available for which the venting configuration(s) and test scenarios can be varied significantly. Several closed vessels are also available.
Large-scale testing at GexCon includes both equipment testing, gas and dust explosion research as well as specialised or dedicated testing projects that are tailor-made to suit customer requirements and needs.
The large-scale test facilities at GexCon's test site at Sotra includes the following test vessels:
- 50 m3 realistic offshore module (L=8 m, 2.5 x 2.5 m, Pmax = 3 barg, variable venting configurations)
- 50 m3 cylindrical vessel (L = 10 m, D = 2.5 m, Pmax = 32 barg, closed or open end)
- 18 m3 wedge-shaped vessel (L = 10 m, H=1.25 m, Pmax = 5 barg, 17° sector of a cylinder, variable venting configurations)
- 9.4 m3 channel (L=6.1 m, 1.25 x 1.25 m, Pmax = 5 barg, flange at one end and a wide selection of vent arrangements in roof)
- 27 m3 '3D corner', (3 x 3 x 3 m, Pmax = 3 barg, variable obstacle layout and density)
- 10 m3 closed 'reactor' vessel (D = 2 m, H = 3.8 m, Pmax = 16 barg, various flanges and openings)
- 10 m3 closed vessel (D = 2.5 m, H = 3 m approx, Pmax = 10 barg, variable venting configurations)
- 23 m3 roller mill (D=3 m approx, H = 8 m approx, Pmax = 3 barg approx)
Expansion of large scale test site
Currently the test site is being expanded. Read more about it here.