Gexcon is actively involved in research and development (R&D), and we share our results with the global research community through presentations at international conferences, publications in peer-reviewed journals, and active participation in MSc and PhD projects. The activities related to industrial process safety started at Chr. Michelsen Institute (CMI) in 1970, continued at Christian Michelsen Research (CMR) from 1992 to 1998, and has since 1998 been organised under Gexcon, a wholly owned subsidiary to CMR. Our R&D activities cover state-of-the-art software development, extensive validation of implemented models in the CFD code FLACS, laboratory to large-scale dispersion and explosion experiments, accident investigations, hydrogen safety, fire modelling and wind energy.
- Davis, S., Engel, D. & van Wingerden, K. (2015). Large scale detonation testing – RPSEA project award. Eighteenth International Symposium, Annual Mary Kay O’Connor Process Safety Center. Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas, USA, 27-29 October 2015: 375-388. ISBN 978-0-9851357-7-5.
- Heggelund, Y., Jarvis, C. & Khalil, M. (2015). A fast reduced order method for assessment of wind farm layouts. Twelfth Deep Sea Offshore Wind R&D Conference, European Energy Research Alliance (EERA) DeepWind'2015, Trondheim, Norway, 4-6 February 2015. Energy Procedia, 80: 30-37. DOI
- Heggelund, Y., Khalil, M. & Jarvis, C. (2015). A fast reduced order method for assessment of wind farm layouts. Poster, EWEA Offshore 2015, Copenhagen, 10-12 March 2015. The European Wind Energy Association (EWEA).
- Hendrickson, B., Marsegan, C. & Gavelli, F. (2015). Where to begin – A parametric study for vapor barriers at LNG export facilities. Eighteenth International Symposium, Annual Mary Kay O’Connor Process Safety Center. Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas, USA, 27-29 October 2015: 1038-1062. ISBN 978-0-9851357-7-5.
- Hernandez, F., Abdel-jawad, M. & Hao, H. (2015). Simplified multiple equations' inverse problem of vented vessels subjected to internal gas explosions. Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries, 35: 65-79. DOI
- Hisken, H., Enstad, G.A., Middha, P. & van Wingerden, K. (2015). Investigation of concentration effects on the flame acceleration in vented channels. Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries, 36: 447-459. DOI
- Narasimhamurthy, V.D., Hisken, H., Atanga, G. & Skjold, T. (2015). Porosity/distributed resistance modelling for industrial CFD applications. Eighth National Conference on Computational Mechanics, MekIT'15, 18-19 May 2015, Trondheim, Norway, B. Skallerud & H.I. Andersson (Eds), International Center for Numerical Methods in Engineering (CIMNE): 321-331. ISBN: 9788494424496.
- Narasimhamurthy, V.D., Mauri, L., Lakshmipathy, S., Skjold, T., Chen, S. & Zhang, Y.C. (2015). Large-scale release and dispersion of CO2: Experiments and simulation. 2015 AIChE Annual Meeting, Salt Lake City, 8-13 November 2015: 8 pp. ISBN: 978-0-8169-1094-6.
- Samaraweera, R., Coffey, C., Price, D. & Middha, P. (2015). The influence of explosion relief vent layouts on explosion overpressures in large biomass storage vessels. IChemE Symposium Series No. 160 (Hazards 25), Edinburgh, UK, 13-15 May 2015: 8 pp.
- Sharpe, E., Bratteteig, A., Barua, R. & Bath, Z. (2015). Laser-based gas detection technology and dispersion modeling used to eliminate false alarms and improve safety performance on Terra Nova FPSO. IChemE Symposium Series No. 160 (Hazards 25), Edinburgh, UK, 13-15 May 2015: 19 pp.
- Skjold, T. & Hisken, H. (2015). Numerical investigation of constant volume propane-air explosions in a 3.6-metre flame acceleration tube. Twenty-fifth International Colloquium on the Dynamics of Explosions and Reactive Systems (ICDERS), Leeds, 2-7 August 2015: 6 pp.
- Skjold, T. (2015). Editorial: Tenth International Symposium on Hazards, Prevention, and Mitigation of Industrial Explosions. Journal of Loss Prevention in the Process Industries, 36: 185. DOI
- Skjold, T., Siccama, D., Hisken, H., Brambilla, A., Middha, P., Groth, K.M. & LaFleur, A.C. (2015). 3D Risk management for hydrogen installations (Hy3DRM). Sixth International Conference on Hydrogen Safety (ICHS), Yokohama, 19-21 October 2015: 12 pp.
- van Wingerden, K. (2015). Use of FLACS during the TWA-800 accident investigation. Eighteenth International Symposium, Annual Mary Kay O’Connor Process Safety Center. Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas, USA, 27-29 October 2015: 964-978. ISBN 978-0-9851357-7-5.
- Zdravistch, F., Siccama, D. & Skjold, T. (2015). Gestão de Riscos em 3D para Instalações de Hidrogênio. ABRISCO 2015 and Topical PSAM Meeting on Safety and Reliability of O&G Exploration and Production, Rio de Janeiro, 23-25 November 2015: 9 pp (in Portuguese).